Wednesday, July 29, 2009

The hawk

We've been back from TN for a couple of weeks. I've been catching up on yard work and sweating. It's been hot. It was hot and pretty dry before we left and now it's hot and humid. We are having more afternoon thunderstorms and I guess that helps while they are happening. It's 7:30 a.m. 80 degrees, feels like 85 with 90% humidity. Ick! With all the rain, the grass really needs to be mowed a couple of times a week where we have St. Augustine.

There has been a big hawk hanging around the area for more than a week. Last week when I went out with Zippy in the morning the hawk flew down the driveway only 10 or 12 feet off the ground. Fortunately Zippy was still on the porch. He is small and looks rather like a little bunny running around. Even if the hawk could not carry him away, he could certainly hurt him terribly and I will not let that happen. I now carry a rake with me and stay close to little Zip all of the time. The hawk usually waits in a large dead pine out in back. Yesterday morning he was in a tree right across the driveway and screeching that horrible, hoarse call over and over. Please go away hawk!!!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! I can just imagine you brandishing a rake around the yard :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, whatever you can imagine, I'm scarier than that. ;-) I'm that hawk's worse nightmare if he comes after Zippy! As you remember I had to chase a hawk away from Bob (your little birdman) so I've got experience and I won't hesitate to use it. I just want to let him know that Zippy IS NOT on the menu!!!

    ReplyDelete